Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Understanding The Unharvested

On my way to work this morning, I was thinking about my small patch of vegetable and herb garden.  Contrasted to where I work: mostly sitting, in a grey (literally) cubicle, staring at my computer, stuffy office, with no window.  Not what I ever wanted for myself, and something I'm still fighting to change...but I digress.

I was filled with gratitude thinking about my garden, but especially the parts which go unharvested.  So if you will indulge me, today I am allowing myself to be counted amongst the gardeners of the world.  But particularly amongst those who leave it up to nature to do what it knows best.  Though I have much to learn, I believe I understand how precious, and therefore important, it is to care for land, nature and its inhabitants.  By care, I mean protect without disturbance.  While going through some books, I found this simply wonderful poem.  Enjoy.

Unharvested

A scent of ripeness from over a wall.
And come to leave the routine road
And look for what had made me stall,
There sure enough was an apple tree
That had eased itself of its summer load,
And of all but its trivial foliage free,
Now breathed as light as a lady’s fan.
For there had been an apple fall
As complete as the apple had given man.
The ground was one circle of solid red.

May something go always unharvested!
May much stay out of our stated plan,
Apples or something forgotten and left,
So smelling their sweetness would be no theft.

—Robert Frost




No comments: