Monday, August 15, 2011

Cookies and Black Tie

For the last two weeks I was on the hunt for a dress.  Not just any dress, but a dress that would be appropriate (and comfortable) for a black tie event: a wedding.  I had no time for baking...well barely.  I managed to make cookies, which under the level of stress I was in due to the wedding, they turned out surprisingly good.

Chocolate Peanut Cookies
2 ounces semi sweet chocolate (melted and cooled)
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 egg
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped roasted peanuts (I used salted peanuts)
Oven - 375 degrees
Bake - 8 to 9 minutes no more (seriously)



As for the wedding...

I am a small woman, in height, and could not find a dress to save my life.  Certainly not a simple one, nor one I didn't have to alter.  (I came across one beautiful blue gown, but altering it would've meant cutting two feet of material....ugh.)  Eventually I ran out of time and had to settle for a blouse I already owned.  I did all I could not to compare myself to all the glamorous looking women in the room.  The wedding entailed two very distinct but traditional ceremonies:  Hindu and American.  The bride of course looked beautiful...who happened to be my height, so I was glad to see she was able to find dresses.  I am a friend of the groom: I prayed he cared more about the fact that I was there, than the fact that I was the only woman not wearing a dress.  I felt bad.  And those glamorous women?  By end of night were wearing flip-flops on the dance floor.  Wish I had a photo of that!  So much pressure for nothing sometimes.  My guy looked very handsome in his James Bond-ish tuxedo.  I just loved the way he looked and am very lucky, as he is way more than his tux.  In the end, we both had a great time dancing and laughing.  I am not unlike my Chocolate Peanut Cookies: we may not be the prettiest of them all, but we sure are sweet.

Lastly, as would be expected of me, I bought an extra bow-tie for the other handsome man in my life.


No comments: