Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Vegan Baking Boot Camp

Hi "All" -- I'm back after five days of Vegan Boot Camp: exhausted and with a nasty cold.  But, very happy.  I'm glad I took on the challenge and learned quite a few basic tips.  It was the first time baking with other people (which felt overwhelming at first), in a really glorious industrial kitchen (not mine and where I don't know where everything is), and under time contraints (you can find me baking straight through midnight sometimes).  A total of 14 people in the class, where I was in a group of three.  Here's some of the day-to-day baking ventures that either I made myself (like the Power Breakfast Muffins) or participated in as a group.  Except for the gluten-free chocolate cupcakes, all were made vegan with the most natural/organic ingredients you could find:

Day 1: Introductions, kitchen basics then...Silken Cashew Cream; Maple Tofu Cream; Soft Orange Cream

Day 2: Blueberry Gel; Spiced Pumpkin Rice Pudding; Chocolate Pudding; Chocolate Chip Cookies

Day 3: Pumpkin Muffins; Power Breakfast Muffins; Chocolate Ganache

Day 4: Grape Tart; Pumpkin Pie with Candied Pecans; Pecan Sweet Potato Pie; Chocolate Gluten-Free Cupcakes

Day 5: Chocolate Cream Filling and Frosting; Chocolate Layer Cake; Cinnamon Streusel UnCoffee Cake

As you can imagine the kitchen was quite busy, but I managed to take a few photos of various desserts including some of the above mentioned.  If you have any questions or want a recipe, let me know.  Enjoy!



No comments: