Saturday, March 23, 2013

THE EGGVENTURE & LOLLI-FLOP #3

This morning I decided to use up a box of King Arthur Gluten Free Muffin Mix I had laying around.  The man of the house has celiac disease so I only bake gluten free...gotten pretty good if I do say so myself, you wouldn't know it was gluten free by the taste (yes I'm patting myself on the back).

The recipe calls for 3 extra large eggs.  I just happened to have four extra large organic eggs left in the refrigerator.  So muffins for breakfast it is...or so I thought.

This is where things go down hill fast.

I take out the eggs, and as usual I break an egg in a small glass - this prevents getting shell fragments in the mix.

This is where it really really gets bad.  Get ready, there are pictures!!!

The egg breaks and immediately I see black stuff come out.  I was shocked.  Yuck!!  As I broke the second egg, same thing!  This time the smell got worse and I freaked out, made a dash through the kitchen door, glass in hand, before Sasha and I ended up smelling like two rotten...well, eggs!  It's not skunk after all...but if you ask me it's way up there in the Le Peu department.

Don't look if you're squeamish -- here we go!!!!!!


I TOLD YOU!

"Wholly cow!" I said out loud to no one.  I've never in my life seen or smelled a rotten egg like this.  I came back in the house and broke a third egg.  Why didn't I quit while I was ahead?!?  For the life of me I don't know.  Third time is not a charm: the egg didn't smell bad, but was clearly questionable. 


I cleaned up and placed the last egg in a small dish.  I said, "It's you or me."  The egg lost.  It wasn't even close to a standoff: I stayed in the kitchen, it stayed outside waiting for the man of the house to take out the garbage.  Looked sad if you ask me...


Thankfully we had a fresh dozen and I was able to continue with the recipe.  But after all was said and done, the poor muffins ended up being a flop.  Despite letting them cool down, the muffins stuck to the pan.  I thought it would be enough to use non-stick spray.  Apparently not, and that's what I get for not following instructions and using muffin cups.  Those salvaged: I wasn't crazy about the taste, too many cranberries for my liking.  At this point it immediately won the title as Lolli-Flop #3.  I'm sure I've done enough damage to your eyes, I'll spare you the muffin pictures.

Quite an exciting morning if you ask me: all before 11:00am.  And you know, the last couple of months I've been dreaming about raising a few chickens -- just three or four.  Suddenly, the idea seems like a distant one.  

No comments: