Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Disruptive Inconvenience?

So this guy walks into the elevator with his left arm in a sling.  I turn to him and say, "That can't be fun."  He rolls his eyes affirmingly and says "No, it's a major disruptive inconvenience.  It's amazing how disruptive it is to my life."  I know this sounded like it was headed for a joke, but it isn't...not really.

As I looked at his thumb sticking out of the sling, bandaged in white gauze, I wanted to tell him the temperature outside had dropped and, it just started snowing harder, too.  In that second, the elevator doors opened and we all filed out in automatic fashion.  Behind me I could hear him engaged in conversation with the other rider.  Their voices drifted further away as I became lost in thought with his words, "disruptive inconvenience". 

How many times have I had (and seen others have) disruptive inconveniences.  And, how many of those have been a blessing.  Not all inconveniences are the worst thing ever.  Often they are exactly what we need in order to see where we are, and in order to shift gears.  I understand how painful injuries like this can be, but putting the pain aside, perhaps the funny thing is, sometimes it's exactly what we need to slow things down. 

Today, without having any disruptive inconvenience to motivate me, I slowed down to have lunch away from my desk...really away, like the other building at our cafeteria.  (I think they call them commissaries these days.)  I'd like to think I ate lunch slowly, but who am I kidding.  Baby steps, right folks.  I can't slow down everything at once!  When I finished eating, I did slow down enough to move forward with an idea.  I stopped to see if I could catch our chef's ear and suggest he post recipes of some of the delicious meals I've been having the last two weeks.  Alas, he was engaged with some corporate suits and I could not get his attention.  I suppose there's always email.  In any case, I asked one of the cooks to clue me in on what I had just eaten: Russian Beef Stew.  I think it's the perfect dish for any cold day.  I'll do a little research on it and get back to you...unless, you have some insight.  It was absolutely delicious and rustic.

This weekend, instead of waiting for a disruptive inconvenience to slow things down for me, I'll practice it on my own.  How about a yummy dessert?  I was thinking a pear or banana upside down chocolate cake...molasses will be involved for sure.  If I can put in the time to make a wonderful dessert -- trust me, I've slowed down.

Well, may we all have disruptive inconveniences that we can see as wonderful blessings, that take us to delightful places.  Till then, take a moment to slow down and view this sweet picture, courtesy of Giant George's Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/GiantGeorge)








No comments: