Saturday, February 9, 2013

IN SEARCH OF RUSSIAN BEEF STEW

I did some research online of Russian Beef Stew and from what I can see; there are more recipes out there for Beef Stroganoff than anything else.  A few recipes called Russian Beef Stew did surface, with slight variations.
Your typical Beef Stroganoff seems to consist of beef tenderloin, a small amount of all-purpose flour, beef consommé, sour cream, onions and salt/pepper.  Some recipes added Dijon mustard mushrooms, and tomato paste.

The recipes for Russian Beef Stew also contained beef (lean slices), onion sour cream, and salt/pepper. However, some added bacon, beef stock, bay leaves, sauerkraut, and tomatoes.
It was hard to know if these ingredients or even some, surmounted to the Russian Beef Stew I ate (see my notes two posts ago).  The only way I can recreate those flavors for myself, with my own twist, is to compile a recipe based on my likes and dislikes.

So, since we were snowed in today, I came up with what I think is a simple recipe.  I like simple flavors where the main ingredient is the star.  In this case the beef.  I’ll give it a go in the next week or so (as soon as the roads are plowed and I can make it to the market).
I will definitely start with:

1 pound of lean beef (I’ll cut some in cubes)

2-3 small-mediums onions, chopped

If the beef is really lean, then I’ll add:

3-6 slices of chopped bacon (for flavor and fat)

Followed by:

2 tablespoons of olive oil
½ Tsps. salt & pepper
2 bay leaves
1-2 medium cloves of garlic, chopped

½ cup of beef broth

I’ll only add the broth if I feel it needs the moisture, I really don’t want it soupy.

(**By the way, does the word stew always have to mean soupy or brothy?**  Just a thought.)  
I'll probably make it in a stainless steel pan so I can throw it in the oven for a bit, then finish it off with:

1-2 dollops of sour cream

I'll let you know how it goes.  If I change or add anything (which I’m sure in a moment of inspiration I will) I’ll let you know.  Oh, and if any of you have any thoughts or ideas on Russian Beef Stew, let me know.
Lastly, on the weather front: If you’re out doors, but struggling to get around due to the Nor’easter that just visited the East…my sympathies.  I’m right there with you...all 38".

 

No comments: