Thursday, July 7, 2011

For A Special Someone

Hi there, hope everyone had a great 4th of July!  Boy I've been busy, too busy to post which is not good.  But the flipside is, I was baking.

I had a dinner party recently (which doubled as a little birthday gathering for my special someone) and made three different desserts.  THE FIRST: Ginger Cookies with Lemon Icing.  I used crystalized ginger AND powdered ginger to really give them a spicy bite.  They were great, I was really surprised.  (Though I'm my worst critic, so every time I bake and it turns out great, I'm surprised.)  It was a simple recipe and the fun part was using my Pineapple Tart Cookie Cutter to make the design.

THE SECOND DESSERT: It's what I call Bronx Chocolate Puddles (if you ever find yourself in certain sections of the Bronx after a terrible thunderstorm you'll know why).  Fortunately these are much more appealing.  And, the second batch turned out fantastic!  Yes, I said the second batch.  I found out the hard way: if you leave them in the oven just 2 to 5 minutes too long they will over cook.  And they did.  When they cooled...well, let's just say Fred Flintstone could've used them as wheels for his car.  Thank goodness I still had plenty of time to make these again, and my guests loved them.

MY THIRD DESSERT?  Chocolate Chip Angel Foods Cupcake.  Nope can't show you what they looked like because they did not turn out the way I wanted or imagined.  Nothing really angelic about them, the light airiness was especially missing -- plenty of chocolate chips though!  They turned out too dry and of course when they cooled they shrunk.  I didn't take photos, never do of my flops.  But now that I think about it, I will from now on.  After all, every flop is a successful step forward.  I'll start calling them the "Before&After Lessons"...or something of that nature.  Cheers!

No comments: