Tuesday, July 12, 2011

LOLLI-FLOP #1 and 1/2

LOLLI-FLOP #1: A few weeks back I tried (for the 2nd time) to make lemon cupcakes.  I've learned, because I don't want to waste ingredients, to first make the base of what I'm baking (in this instance the cupcake) and then if the results are satisfactory, move forward with the frosting, garnish, etc.  Well these were a disaster.  To this day I still can't figure out completely what went wrong.  Perhaps I added too much Xantham gum?  In any case, they were not edible--they turned out dry, really gummy, with a raw- like consistency (yes I left them in the oven long enough).  I'm glad I didn't waste any more ingredients by making the ginger buttercream frosting I had planned.


LOLLI-FLOP #2 (really half a flop): This past weekend, I tried making something called Peanut Butter Blossoms.  The directions were so easy there was no way I was going to goof these up.  Think again.  Two things that might've worked against me: 1) the recipe called for brown sugar, I only had dark brown sugar and light brown sugar - so I decided to go with the dark; 2) you're also supposed to just let all the ingredients mix together.  Unlike other recipes, there were no instructions regarding what to mix first and how...so I started with dry ingredients in my KitchenAid.  When mixed well, I followed with the natural peanut butter, extracts, milk and lastly eggs.  They certainly smelled peanut-buttery!  The instructions stated, upon removing from the oven immediately top each cookie with 1 Hershey's Kiss, pressing firmly so the cookie cracks around the edge.  Well, not only did mine not look like a typical cookie, but when I pulled them out of the oven and tested their doneness with my little finger...this is what happened.


With a gasp and a flinch back....
"What...!" I said, "this can't be?!"  Then I tried it with a Hershey's Kiss.


It was beginning to look and feel like a comedy of errors.  They were too soft, crumbly, if I didn' know better I'd swear I just stuck my finger into a ball of packed brown sugar.  And, the crumbly-ness reminded me of the vegan cupcakes I had made the prior day.  Though they tasted peanut-buttery, it just wasn't standing up to the recipe.  Well, with a lot of frustration and determination, I decided not to let the ingredients go to waste--after all they did taste like a cookie.  The more they cooled the more they were of cookie consistency, so I had a plan...  I began melting all of my 22 unwrapped Hershey's Kisses.

Now, I bet you're thinking, problem solved right?  No such luck.  I could not melt the chocolate properly--in fact, the Kisses melted then the chocolate began to harden again!  "Now what's wrong with the chocolate!" I said in disbelief.  (Part of what's wrong is I didn't use a thermometer.)  One has to laugh, but at the time it did not occur to me to do so.  (Now, yes...then, no.)  Again with determination, I decided to melt some Hershey's mini-chips.  I had melted these in the past without a problem.  Were the chocolate gods going to finally smile upon me?  Yes.  The chocolate chips melted beautifully and here were the results.



I started spooning on the chocolate, but quickly found it was much easier to pick one up at a time and dip them in the chocolate.  By then they had hardened enough, like your basic cookie, to do so.  Who would've guessed, the ugly girls at the party turned out to be princesses---and a BIG hit with folks who tried them this week.  So after all of that, something wonderful came of it.  Because these tough girls stuck by me tilll the end, I INTRODUCE YOU TO (drum roll please)....

Peanut Butter Tuffies 

LESSON #1: When life gives you lemons, buy some more lemons until you make the cupcakes you want.
LESSON #2: Never give up...if you do, you will miss out on a miracle, or two.  :-)

No comments: